Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Hai... Cheezu!



(This is what people in Japan normally say when taking a picture... the Japanese pronunciation of "cheese!")

Yesterday was the Picture Day for teachers at my high school. (Students already had their photos taken on one of the first days of the school year back in April.) Unfortunately, no one let me know about this in advance or I might've dressed up a little more than usual... I felt "underdressed" because most teachers wear a suit as it is every day anyway, and I was just wearing a light sweater.... without a collar, even! (Gasp!) The Japanese sure do love formality, especially in pictures. The hardest thing for me to do in these pictures is NOT SMILE. As Americans, we are conditioned to show those pearly whites when it's photo time (and normally, the Japanese are the cheesiest when it comes to their smiles in most photos.) When it comes to photos for professional reasons, though, including your driver's license picture, it's serious business. NO SHOWING OF YOUR TEETH ALLOWED!

This is a formal graduation photo with teachers and the graduates taken last March at my Special Needs school. (I'm pretty easy to spot.) As you can see, I am having a hard time attaining that serious look. It's a shame that yesterday's photo wasn't taken in the gym like this one... instead it was taken outside at lunchtime, and it even though it was Halloween Day- practically November- we were sweating like crazy (it's still damn hot) and squinting in the sun. It's gonna be a great picture, I can already tell you... grrrr.

Speaking of photos... Halloween Party ones are soon to come.

6 Comments:

At 11:17 PM, Blogger melinda said...

It is definately not a "where's Waldo" picture. Kim definately jumps right out at you!

 
At 6:40 AM, Blogger *G* said...

No teeth? Fascinating!

I'm curious about the men in the front row - all their hands are separated, one on each leg, while the women on the ends have their hands clasped....is there a reason?

 
At 11:29 AM, Blogger kim said...

You are right, Melinda... I have NO IDEA why they had to put me in the back row, as if I'm not a head taller than everyone as it is!

 
At 11:57 AM, Blogger kim said...

Very good question, Gretch! My, you perceptive! :) As a matter of fact, there IS a reason why they do that. It comes from the way the Japanese bow. Men typically bow with their hands to their sides while women clasp their hands together in front of them. Guess it carries over to their photos as well!

 
At 4:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Haha. Nothing like the obligatory asian office pics! Dig up some of the pics you have from Korea and you will find a plethora of "gestures" I made there. Granted, it'd be a lot easier to catch if I didn't look like everyone else in the picture!

-L

 
At 11:24 PM, Blogger kim said...

I still have those pictures, all right! Always right beside ol' Parkey! (though HIS out-of-office pics were always the best..)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home